Friday, September 5, 2008

Chasing Obama

So I decdided that before I left for my trip, I would check to see if Obama/Biden were going to be anywhere along my route. Coincidentally, Obama was scheduled to be giving a speech in York, PA, right along the route generated by my wonderful GPS with the British accent. So a short 45 minutes into my trip I found myself in York outside of a gated industrial plant. Unfortunatley all three gates to the plant were being guarded by about 10 secret service agents. The event was apparently invitation only, but I did get to see the Obama/Biden bus. Close enough? Who knows. I guess I can read the stump speech on his website.

After that I got on with the rest of my journey. The Pennsylvania turnpike was pretty boring other than the three mile long tunnels through the mountains. Everything went rather well until I stopped to get gas along one of the 14 miles that I-70 stretches through West Virginia. I swear the sign read Exxon, 1/2 mile on the left. Well half mile to the left took me up the side of a mountain where third gear and 3500 rpms got me all of 25 mph. No gas station! Note to self: never get off in West Virginia. Thankfully, Ohio was more normal.

Well I made it almost all the way across Ohio before it started to get dark. I happened to notice a sign on the side of the road for a state park and decided that it might be a cool place to camp for the night. The sweet British lady on my GPS directed me out to the camp grounds where I managed to locate for myself a nice non-electric camp ground to set up my tent. Here's where I stayed:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/716/Default.aspx

It was nice as I got my tent set up and got something to eat before the sun went down. I even managed to catch the glimpse of a nice rainbow as a couple of showers moved through. All in all, it was a good first day and I even made it to bed before 10pm. Amazing! I'll post some pictures a little later.

No comments: