Tuesday, September 9, 2008

To The Brink/Lord of the Flies



Well I didn't quite make it to Yellowstone today... I made it to the brink of the Rocky Mountains when I realized that my GPS was taking me off of an interstate and onto US route 16 which winds into the Rockies. It was getting dark, a storm was moving in, and as crazy as I am I wasn't about to start driving into the mountains as tired as I was. I retreated back to the nearest town, Sherridan, WY, and have decided to spend the night here. I'll get up early and try and finish off the remaining 200 miles to Yellowstone tomorrow morning.




As for the drive to this point, it was actually a very nice drive across acres and acres of open grassland in Wyoming. Let me just say that it truly deserves the title Big Sky Country. It feels like everything is just bigger and more spread out. There were times when I couldn't see a car in front of or behind me or on the other side. Just me and some cattle... Speaking of bigger, even the bugs out here are bigger. At one point I had to stop early for gas because my windshield was so coated in bug guts that I couldn't see out of it.


As you can see from the front of my car, it is going to need a serious washing when I get to California.
Alrighty, I'm now going to bed. It's been a long day considering I started it by hiking out of the Badlands in South Dakota and I'm now at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. Hopefully I'll make it to Yellowstone tomorrow morning.

No comments: