Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Almost five years after I initially "finished" this blog when I arrived in California, I've learned many things about myself and the world around me.  In the hopes of dealing with a bunch of things that I've been ignoring I'm going to just start chronicling the mundane details of my day-to-day life in the hopes that some patterns might emerge.  We'll see what happens.

I haven't been sleeping well recently.  At night I can't fall asleep.  There's no conscious thoughts that are really causing it.  I'm not dwelling on any ideas, but my brain is still active well into the night.  It's unclear to me why.  When I wake up in the morning I feel tired.  As the cobwebs clear, eventually my brain gets enticed back into the world of engineering where the problems are always interesting and on my way I go.  The day passes rapidly.  As long as I have code to write, I'm never bored.  Time is constantly slipping through my fingers.  And then, without warning it's time to sleep again, and my brain just isn't ready.

Tonight for the first night in a long while I didn't code and just let my brain peruse the internet, which happened to drop me back here in my old blog.  I read the sad tale of Oscar Wilde (I'm reading The Picture of Dorian Grey (sleeplessness initiated before I started reading this in case you thought it might be the cause (note as a programmer I properly nest my parenthesis (and yet I hate lisp http://xkcd.com/297/ )))) and marveled at how much impact he had in such a short lifetime.  In the process I enjoyed listening to Random Access Memories, the new Daft Punk album released today.  I tried letting myself dream a little bit about where I might choose to work on the future.  It's fair to say that grad school is starting to drag upon my soul.  Not to say that I don't enjoy my project, but I'm ready to work on something new.  There's only so much complexity that, I at least, can maintain in my mind, and if all of that complexity is concentrated around ideas, the rest of my live divulges into simplicity.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: