Monday, May 27, 2013

Today was an interesting day, although not really.  I woke up rather late as usual and watched the end of the Indy 500.  I then went to work for a few hours and fixed a few bugs.  Around 3pm I made my weekly call home to let Mom and Dad know that I was alive, which then digressed into a conversation about what jobs I might consider taking and ultimately what lifestyle changes I might consider enacting post grad school to live a more "normal" life.  I'm still not convinced that that is the right answer.  I feel like I'm selling on my potential if I take a big corporate job rather than doing true science with my coding abilities.  I'll get into that more in a later post.

I went running for the first time in a few days.  Did a little 6 mile out and back trail in Portola Valley to the top of Alpine road.  I ran decently fast considering I haven't been running much.  It's always surprising how fast I can run on a trail when I just let me mind go.  I managed to scare a few hikers along the way who weren't anticipating a human body traveling around 10 mph to be approaching on a single track trail.  For some perverse reason, I get enjoyment out of that: knowing that I'm an unusual phenomenon on the trails of the world.

Upon arriving home I watched the Miami Heat destroy the Indiana Pacers in the third game of the NBA eastern conference finals, while cooking fish, rice, and steamed broccoli for dinner.  It was yummy but the game wasn't much for entertainment.  I biked back to work as the sun was setting.  I could feel the air warming up just a touch.  The war between summer and the cold waters of the Pacific was heating up.  Back at work I fixed a few more bugs, and then spent some time reading about numerical methods, trying to fill in the holes left in my undergrad degree in math.  Biking home at 1:30am, I was flying.  There was a waning moon on the rise, and the night was cool, all of which contributed to my speed.  Not a single car passed me.

No comments: